Wednesday 1 February 2012

Finding their feet

Since my last post, we have seen some changes in the whelping room.

Hex's belly was starting to look very sore where the pups have not only grown stronger, but their toenails were also growing so we gave them their first pedicure on Monday the 30th with a torch and some nail scissors. I thought this would be really difficult but Mum held them and I cut them and it was relatively easy (once I'd asked my hand to stop shaking!).

The pups also started standing this week - they're not particulary good at it and their eyes are still closed so they don't go very far, but they do rise up on to four feet and have a little stagger before falling over and trying again.

They have also spent more time interacting with each other; they had just been sleeping together, eating together and wriggling around or over each other to get the best teat, but they now push each other around for no reason what so ever and clamber around and over each ither instead of just wriggling towards a food or heat source.

Their eyes will be opening in the next few days and I cannot wait! I watched a video of Gass's pups today (they're a week ahead of Hex's) and am really excited about ours getting to that stage. It's amazing to think of the changes a puppy goes through in such a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment